Oregon Offshore 2010

by on May.17, 2010, under Sailing/Marine

Rage in west end basin of Astoria night before the start

Rage in west end basin of Astoria night before the start

I had the honor of sailing with 12 other really great people on the Wylie 70 called Rage in the 2010 Oregon Offshore sailboat race.  I must give compliments to Steve Rander, Schooner Creek, and his crew/friends/workers; for just a week before the boat was up on dry land having its mast shortened, sails re-cut, keel shortened, and replacing the tiller with wheel steering.

We had to leave the dock 5 hrs before the 10 am start so that the keel wouldn’t end up in the mud.  It was really cool though watching the sun come up from east as the fog rolled out of young’s bay.  The bar crossing was fine and the sea breeze filled in for the start.  We decided to put the first reef in before the start to de-power, seeing as the prediction was for more breeze later in the afternoon.

The breeze built threw the day on Saturday.  We sailed away from the fleet but we could see that both Orizaba and Anama Cara were keeping up with us.  It wasn’t until we put the second reef in that we were able to walk away from these two boats like a 70 footer should do to 40 footers.  Wind stayed with us threw the night and then died around 4 or 5 am.  We sat for about 4 hours 20 miles south of cape flattery doing 0.0-.0.1 knots.  Finally the breeze started to fill around 10 am Friday morning and we started progressing north getting around Cape Flattery around noon.  As we turned the corner we could see a sailboat farther to the west of our location, it was Orizaba who had gone farther offshore over night, maintaining breeze into the morning.

2010 Oregon Offshore Finish

2010 Oregon Offshore Finish

The straights became the typical 15 building to 25 going into the evening.  I got to drive the turbo sled with the chute up, and it is one of the most amazing sailboats I have driven.

Here is a link to a facebook video with me driving and the crew work of a gybe in 25 knots.

We managed to get threw race rocks right around 10 pm and finished about 11:20 pm Friday evening.  Orizaba came in 3 hrs and 15 minutes after we did and probably beat us by only 4 minutes over a 193 mile ocean race.

This is one of the best offshores I ever had in my 13 years of doing this race, the people and boat were great.

The next morning my plan was to catch the M/V Coho ferry over to Port Angeles and ride in a bus with the crew of Anama Cara.  I missed the ferry due to my bad timing of eating breakfast, packing, and getting over to buy a ticket.  So I bought a student ticket on the Victoria Clipper and made my way over to Seattle.  My thought was I could the Seattle public transportation to the Sea-Tac airport and then use some Alaska miles to fly into Portland in time for dinner with friends and family.  The Seattle metro train system was supposed to be running every 10 minutes so I figured I could make the 5 pm horizon flight.  All forces were against me ……. turns out the metro rail system was doing track construction so they were only running every hour, and I had just missed the 3 pm train.  So I jumped on the 4 pm train and got to Sea-tac at around 4:45 pm missing my flight.  Stand by on the 6 pm and one of these …….

Stress Releif

Stress Releif

helped cut down my stress level !!!!!!

:, , ,

Comments are closed.